Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Review of Caesar's Pasta Gnocchi

Gnocchi are small Italian dumplings. They can be made from any variety of ingredients. My favorite version is potato gnocchi. The dish is difficult to get right. They should be light and spongy, not dense or sticky. The version from Caesar's Pasta achieves this delicate balance while being gluten free. Their gnocchi dumplings are a combination of rice, tapioca, and other ingredients. Unfortunately, at least for my palate, the rice and tapioca were present in the flavor profile. I tend not to prefer gluten free pasta made from rice. For long noodles I prefer quinoa or corn pasta. However, for gnocchi I prefer potato. Putting aside the flavor, Caesar's manages to present as spongy and light. The dumplings maintained their shape perfectly after about 4 minutes of cooking in boiling water. In the end, they were a very satisfying gnocchi dinner. I would highly recommend Caesar's gnocchi, particularly if you like rice pasta.

I would call Caesar's gnocchi great but not the greatest. The greatest gluten free gnocchi, in my opinion, is from Nuovo. It can be difficult to find. Even though it is gluten free, I have never seen it in a gluten free specialty store. I can only find it at Whole Foods, and there not consistently.

Caesar's can be found online at http://caesarspasta.com/ (as of this writing, the website was under construction).
Nuovo can be found online at http://www.nuovopasta.com/retail.asp?type=pasta

Mangia Italiana!

No comments: