Thursday, June 2, 2011

Udi's Gluten Free Hot Dog Buns

It pains me to write this review. I'm a big fan of Udi's products and keep many of them on hand at all times. However, if the bag of hot dog buns I purchased at Whole Foods are representative of the product, then I simply cannot recommend them as hot dog buns.

What is a hot dog bun? It is long, typically made of white bread, soft, and a single bun slice lengthwise so that the hot dog can be held in one hand. The ideal bun should remain as a single piece even when cut. If the bun separates into two pieces, it defeats the purpose of the thing. The Udi's buns were dry, crumbly, rough, and easily separated into two pieces. In fact, I could not keep one in tact. Now, having said that, they still did the job of holding the hot dog. But I would be surprised if a young child would be able to manage it. Specifically, I chose not to put down the hot dog once I started eating it because it would have separated into dog and two bun pieces on the plate.

If the bag did not say "Hot Dog Buns", one might guess they were something else, perhaps white baguettes. As such, they work very well as garlic bread. Because the other Udi's products are so good, I will probably give these another chance.

No comments: