Monday, January 24, 2011

Gluten free products always on hand

In this inaugural edition of Gluten Free On Hand (GFOH), I consider one of the gluten free grocery items that I tend to always have in stock or on the grocery list.

Lifeway lowfat Kefir, cherry or strawberry.

As someone with Celiac, I am constantly aware of my digestive status. How am I today? Grumbly? Settled? Disastrous? If I am anything but settled, I do everything I can to get back to settled. I have found that I feel better if I include Kefir in my daily routine. I tend to drink it as a mid-morning snack. Look, I'm no dietitian or nutritionist. I cannot evaluate the scientific validity of the claims by Lifeway. I can only say how I feel when I include it as part of my regular routine. The back of the bottle lists twelve active cultures. I won't bore you with them here. I only recognized L. acidophilus. Setting aside the potential health benefits, I simply like the way it tastes and how it gets me through a hungry morning. It used to be narrowly available in grocery stores, but now it seems like I see it in every store.

Of course, the lowfat Kefir is gluten free (not dairy free; sorry dairy free folks). And they have even started putting a gluten free sticker on the lid. I love seeing those words big and bold on product packaging. Even when it should be obvious that a product is gluten free, it is reassuring to see it clearly labeled.

So, all this makes Lifeway Kefir a GFOH product!

Lifeway has a vibrant online presence. You can find them on Twitter @lifeway_kefir, on Facebook, on their blog, on Flikr, and on YouTube.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the post! We're always thrilled to see fans of flavors that aren't as widely available -- cherry deserves more love.

And also another enthusiastic "thank you!" for noticing our new gluten free stickers. You truly are veteran Lifeway kefir consumer!