Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New GF: Kohinoor Rice Treat

The "International Aisle" at the grocery store can be overwhelming some times. There are a lot of items that I've never eaten before and don't know if I can eat on a gluten free diet. Kohinoor Rice Treat,clearly labeled as gluten free, is a ready-to-eat rice pilaf that is easily prepared in the microwave. I would call this more of a side dish than a treat. We're not talking about a Rice Krispie treat here. This is a spicy rice side dish. I tried the Hyderabad Vegetable Pilaf. It had a complex flavor profile, including seasonings that you don't find in most packaged foods, like clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, large cardamon, mace, nutmeg, and saffron. No artificial flavors or preservatives! While the final product looks nothing like the photo on the packaging, the flavor was bold and satisfying. There are a few other flavors in the "Rice Treat" line and I'm looking forward to trying them all.

No comments: